Good friends around a bonfire is our idea of a night out. Sparklers and toffee apples and colours exploding in the sky. There’s magic in the air as we edge closer into those winter months, the time of year to wrap yourself up and take the kids out on a school night.
Whether you’re out enjoying the fireworks or staying indoors with cosy comfort food, this is the perfect Guy Fawkes recipe to indulge in this autumn, or at least might ‘spark’ some inspiration.
Remember remember the 5th November; Sausage, pumpkin and sage
- 50g/1¾oz butter
- 6 good-quality sausages, pricked several times with a fork
- 1 onion, peeled, thinly sliced
- 3 banana shallots, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh sage
- 1 small pumpkin, peeled, seeds removed, cut into equal-sized pieces
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 200g/7oz canned chopped tomatoes
- 400g/14oz canned cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
- 500ml/18fl oz chicken stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley, to serve
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
Heat half the butter in a large casserole over a medium heat and fry the sausages for 4-5 minutes, or until golden-brown all over.
Add the remaining butter, onion and shallots and fry for three minutes, or until softened. Add the garlic and sage leaves and cook for a further three minutes, stirring well.
Add the pumpkin and stir the mixture until well combined. Increase the heat to high and add the white wine vinegar. Continue to cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
Add the sugar, tomatoes, cannellini beans and stock and season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Bring the mixture to the boil, then transfer the casserole to the oven for one hour, or until the sausages are cooked through and the pumpkin is tender.
To serve, ladle the casserole into two large bowl and sprinkle with the flatleaf parsley.
Firework Displays In Your Area
If you are heading out to enjoy some fireworks there's plenty of events happening on your doorstep.
The City Airport will be putting on a Fireworks Spectacular - Saturday 2nd November in Eccles. In Merseyside, the river of light festival is returning, it's set to run from Friday 1st November to Saturday 9th November and can be seen from both Liverpool and Wirral.
Check out the links below to find some fabulous displays local to you: